With millions more pumped into weapons development its no wonder bombs are becoming smaller and more destructive.
This was the idea behind the GBU-39 small diameter bomb an air launched weapon. It would replace its larger predecessor, carried by most US air force aircrafts, that weighs nearly 2000 pounds. In its place 4 Small diameter bombs on a rack quadrupling the damage.
The Us military is already developing a better version, the GBU-53 small diameter bomb 2 said to be more accurate and more destructive with a higher blast radius.
- Weapon type: Bomb
- Created and distributed by United States
- Created and in service since 1996
- Armies that use the SDB United States, Israel, Italy
- Manufacturer Boeing integrated defense systems
- Used in Wars War in Afghanistan, Iraq war, Israel-Gaza conflict
- Variants: GBU-39, GBU-40, GBU-53
- Length: 70.8 inches, 1.80 meters
- Width: 7.5 inches, 190 mm
- Weight: 285 pounds, 129 kg's
- Warhead:AFX-757 Dense inert metal explosive
- Warhead weight: 38 pounds, 17 kg
- Operational range: 60 nautical miles or more, 110 km
- Guidance system and locator: GPS / INS
- Accuracy: 5-8 m circular error propable
Below are a couple weapons videos showing the devastating accuracy and destruction of this brilliant new bomb. The GBU-39 Small Diameter Bomb SDB